Saturday 21 November 2015

Miniature Warfare Magazine


My first wargame mag was Miniature Warfare by John Tunstill. I bought my first one in August 1969 and I still have 30 or so copies.  

I was flicking through them and found a few images that I liked.

Firstly Wargames and Advertising. Back in 1970 Wargaming must have been cool enough to be used to advertise chocolates. 



 


The figures look to be Staddens and may have been from John's own collection.

Next up a rather nice set piece.



The caption with the picture says they are Willie figures by Ed Suren.

5 comments:

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

Ah yes! I remember that magazine and that 'Good News' chocolate advert - it's all a long time ago ! , Tony

Independentwargamesgroup said...

Evening Mark,
Yes Ive got this one. When I was starting out, this was the only wargames magazine that I found for sale, in a Pet Shop, of all places. I still read over my few copies.

Rob Young said...

Likewise, got that copy. I still go over them every few months or so.

Jim Duncan Wargamer said...

Yes, I will have a few of these magazines stashed away somewhere in the loft.

I know I was reading Miniature Warfare in the early 70's because I remember seeing an advert about joining a wargames club in Edinburgh which I responded to and this is how I joined the South East Scotland Wargames Club in 1972 which was run then by a young chap called George Jeffreys.

What I don't remember is where did I buy it. It must have been a local newsagent since I don't remember going much to a model shop or any of the big chain newsagents elsewhere.

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

I also bought this magazine ... where I could find it on sale. Its distribution where I lived was a bit hit-and-miss, but I always enjoyed reading it, and I still have article from it in my clippings files.