Monday, 9 October 2017

Austrian Artillery

I have moved on to artillery for my next Hinton Hunt unit.  So on my painting table are 6 Austrian artillerymen and a couple of old Hinchcliffe French guns.

I started with an old model which may well have been painted as an Austrian gun by the previous owner.


After a quick bleach dip and a bit of cleaning the model is ready for a black  undercoat. (I use Halfords Matt black primer)




Its a rather nice model and the barrel even elevates.

The other artillery piece started disassembled in bits.


And after the dip.


I need to cut a pin to make the axle.

I have 6 original Austrian gun crew and these are now undercoated and the leather brown applied.  I will need a further 2 figures to make up the gun crew to full strength.


To do like this chap pointing with a map.


I am planning on having a small game of Muskets and Marshals soon. As my collection is embryonic I will use 16 figures for Infantry units but let each 4 figure base represent 6 so they will fight as 24 figures. For cavalry each figure will represent 2 so a 6 figure unit will fight as 12. 

It will be a hodge pooch sort if game with British, French, Poles, Nassauers, Prussian, Portuguese and Austrian on the table.  Reminds me of my games as youngster.

4 comments:

Norm said...

An axle! how simply super. I think I have yet to get artillery wheels properly aligned with the models that have studs for axle ends.

Jonathan Freitag said...

Looking good!

Jim Duncan said...

I normally cut the studs away and drill and pin wheels on artillery carriages.

Phil said...

Very nice!