Wednesday 16 September 2020

1st KGL almost done

It has taken me much, much, longer to get this unit finished than planned.  I think my original plan was over optimistic and went out out of the window with the first coat of red.

Anyway there is light at the end of the tunnel.  The rank and file are done, mdf bases painted humbrol green and the  command under way.


The command also includes an Alberken mounted British Officer who will represent Major W. Robertson.

I can now start planning my next unit and whilst I may go for something simple I feel another French unit is needed. However I am still uncertain whether to go for another cavalry or infantry unit . There is  still the matter of 16 French gunners to consider. 

14 comments:

Delta Coy said...

Slow and steady Mark, you can't rush these things. Looking forward to your next unit, maybe the gunners? A smaller unit might get your painting mojo back on track? Cheers Greg

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Some units just seem to resist being painted. I applaud your persisrence and your refusal to let them win!

Wellington Man said...

The bedspreads are coming along nicely Mark! Hang on in there, old friend. Your KGLs are shaping up to be something absolutely spectacular.
Best regards
WM

David said...

British red always has been a challenge for me and I applaud anyone who can paint a unit of British Infantry. You are in the home stretch now, which for me is when things really start to come together quickly. I hope your experience will be the same. I love the fifer. I don't believe I have seen one of those before!

Rob said...

I don't envy you painting the white stripes on the colours over a black undercoat - whit never seems to cover anything for me without lots of coats.
Good luck!

Mark Dudley said...

I think a French small artillery detachment is a good plan. I have original Hinton Hunt figures and Hinchcliffe artillery pieces to paint.

Mark Dudley said...

It would have been easy to push them to one side and do something else.

Mark Dudley said...

Being KGL my continental quilts are taking shape. The unit will look quiet pretty when it is done.

Mark Dudley said...

Red and yellow are the two worse colours to paint. I have managed to collect enough musicians to have both a drummer and fifer in my planned units.

Mark Dudley said...

Yup - lots of white will be required to cover and build up the depth of colour.

Aly Morrison said...

They are looking lovely Mark...
There is something about British red coats that just says ‘toy soldiers’...

All the best. Aly

Stryker said...

Coming along nicely, I'll be interested to see how you get on with the flags!

Mark Dudley said...

No self respecting toy soldier would be seen in anything other than red when I was a lad.

Mark Dudley said...

The regimental flag is a dremmeled down Union Jack. So it will be interesting to see how this one comes out.