Sunday 10 October 2021

Back to Napoleonics

I have been having a break since June from painting classic Napoleonics. However I am putting a participation game at a small get together in late November and I  really need another alied cavalry unit to balance the armies.

I have quiet a few unpainted units to choose from including Austrian, Prussian and British.  In the end I decided to go with a unit of one piece castings of the Scots Greys.

I got these figures a while back and the previous owner has altered some of the figure positions to make the unit more  animated. The horses have all had their tails docked. The figures have been painted some time in the past as there is still some red left on the uniforms.

Originally I was going the repair the tails but I have decided to go with the docked look. One figure had no hand or sword so I decided to graft on a bugle cut from a Newline figure. Some of the swords were a bit weak so I covered them with a thin layer of super glue at the weak points.

I used gorilla super glue to a fix the bugle hand to the figure as I have found this is a strong enough bond. As a change I will be using a grey undercoat rather than my normal black as I hope this well speed up the painting time.

I have also be doing some more rebasing and refurbing of my 28mm ACW collection.  


About 50% of the collection is done and I hope to complete by the end of the year. 


The vast majority of the figures are by First Corps and painted about 25 years ago.  




12 comments:

Rob said...

A grey undercoat speeding up the painting time for the… Greys. I see where you’re going with is one and good luck.
I know it’s sacrilege to adulterate vintage castings but I think the docked tail makes more distinctive.

Wellington Man said...

Good to see you back on the "shining path" Mark! I'm expecting you to do great things with these, which I shall shamelessly attempt to copy in due course.

Jim Duncan Wargamer said...

Can't wait to see the Greys in full colour.

Aly Morrison said...

I’m looking forward to seeing you Scots Greys… Mark.
An excellent choice of unit…

All the best. Aly

Stryker said...

I don't blame you for not reinstating the tails Mark, the ones I did were a right fiddle! I look forward to seeing the finished unit.

Mark Dudley said...

I have started painting the horses. I am not sure my Grey undercoat is going to work out as planned.

Mark Dudley said...

Get horses and red uniforms - What could possibly go wrong

Mark Dudley said...

They should be pretty once they are finished. I am working to a deadline of completing the unit by November the 24th.

Mark Dudley said...

I have been admiring your version on your blog and seeing how you painted the horses. I fear mine will look scruffy in comparison.

Mark Dudley said...

I thought about the tails but I could not see myself producing anything but a mess so decided to keep it simple.

Chris Gregg said...

I am sure they will look wonderful Mark. I had a unit of them c1966 and they did service with my Peninsular army before I was old enough to know better! cheers Chris https://notjustoldschool.blogspot.com/

David said...

Scotland Forever! The whole docked tails for the greys is new to me. Did the greys not dock the tails of their horses, or had that just gone out of fashion by the time Waterloo rolled around?