Wednesday, 7 March 2018

More Lutzowers

Next up on my painting is the second squadron of the Lutzow Uhlans. As I had 4 Lancers I was going to need 2 extra figures to bring the unit up to strength.

I decided to try my hand at a bit of conversion work to create an officer and standard bearer for my Uhlans. I know the Prussian Uhlans did not carry standards but I decided that they would look the business if mine they did.

I started out using a JC recast Prussian Dragoon. The first step was to use the Dremel  I got for Christmas to remove the Carbine.


Next steps was to use Milliput to add the Litweka. This is the first time I have tried using Milliput to convert a figure.  The Uhlan figures have a different shaped shako so I added a bit of Milliput here as well. I added a few other bits and pieces.


I cut of the sword of one of the Dragoon and added a flagpole using a needle I 'borrowed' from the wife's sewing kit. I have fashioned a hand which hopefully will look alright when painted.


The finished figures together with an Uhlan.


As I had a bit of Milliput left over I tried something else out. As part of a recent trade with TS I got some Der Kreigspieler Lutzow Infantry. The only issue is they are bit on the small size. I however noticed the base was a bit thin.


So I added a bit of Miliput under the base to add a little extra height.  The difference is less noticeable and I could probably get away with using a slightly thicker piece of Milliput.


One of the advantages is that you can get a tidy finish and once the Milliput is filed smooth and the painted and based it will hard to tell they are wearing platform boots.


I am happy how my first attempts with Milliput have come out and I will certainly try more conversions in the future.


10 comments:

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

Great conversions , I have not tried Milliput , tending to use 'Green stuff' for my conversions .

Stryker said...

All very clever stuff Mark and I'm sure they'll paint up a treat. How much more 70s retro can you get than platform shoes?

Mark Dudley said...

Milliput takes a bit ot time to apply but as it takes 3-4 hours to harden you have plenty if time to tinker and adjust things.

Mark Dudley said...

I own up - I had a pair of platform boots when I was in the 4th year at school.

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Good job!

But, it is only a small step from there to homecasting original sculpts.....

Alastair Morrison said...

Be warned Mark...
Milliput and Green Stuff are highly addictive... it may just start with a few innocent conversions ... a hat here... a sleeve maybe... lengthening a tunic...new overalls on some French.. an arm.. a leg... a head...

Next thing you know 40 years have gone past and your wondering what happened to that career you were going to have as a cartographer...... :-)

Looking forwards to seeing the paint jobs...

All the best. Aly

Mark Dudley said...

Hi Ross

A few more conversations perhaps. I cant see me trying anything more complex.

Mark Dudley said...

Hi Aly

I know what you mean. I found this simple conversion rather fun to do and I am sure I could get better with practise.

Wellington Man said...

Absolutely brilliant, Mark. Aly is right, of course - conversions are massively addictive. It's one of the reasons I've only managed to paint eleven figures so far this year!

All the best
WM

Mark Dudley said...

I know what you mean. Having done these figures I feel more confident I could tackle more.