Friday 20 April 2018

Wargaming with Screws

Back in August 1969 I bought my first Wargame Magazine - Miniature Warfare - for the princely sum of 3/6. 

At the time 20mm was the smallest figures you could get. I dont think Peter Laing 15mm when then available.

This did not stop intrepid Wargamers experimenting with smaller scales.


In the magazine was an article on using screws to game with.  What is even more surprising is that they were used individually and not even based multiplly on  stands.

 
1/4 screws fot infantry is very close to 6mm.



I wonder if anyone actually tried this at the time. 


6 comments:

Aly Morrison said...

Yes ...
I have that magazine... and yes... I had a go at painting screws...

I dug out a load of my fathers scews and painted them as per the article..... and ...

They looked rather disappointing like ... screws painted in funny colours...

Ah! Well each to their own...

Thanks for the memories Mark...I may have to read through my back issues again...

All the best. Aly

Stryker said...

Err...yes me! But I only painted a couple before giving up on the idea!

Anonymous said...

I stuck with Airfix. Still have them.

Tony adams said...

Hi
I too was taken with this idea but unlike the other respondents I have stuck with it ever since. I now have over 35,000 screw soldiers and thousands of guns and vehicles. I upgraded to half inch screws and use drawing pins as wheels for example. How strange I must be !!!
Tony

Mark Dudley said...

Hi Tony

You must send me some pictures.

Mark

Tony adams said...

Mark
Photos on the way. This is the first time anyone outside the family has seen my armies, they think I am weird painting screws so god knows what you will think.
Regards Tony