Tuesday 21 May 2019

Removing Paint from old figures - before and after

Many old classic Napoleonic figures that I have collected often came heavily layered with old paint and varnish. I have tried various paint stripping methods but have settled on using cheap full strength bleach from my local supermarket.

When using Bleach please make sure you wear protective gloves. I use a glass with good lid.  I allow between 8 and 12 hours depending on how much paint needs stripping and during the bleaching period I shake the jar and check how the stripping is going.

To remove the paint I use a good old stiff tooth brush, washing up liquid and plenty of water. Once the figure is dry I remove any stubborn paint with a fine file.

So how effective is it and is it worth it. I will leave you to judge.

The pictures below show the before and after dipping on this original Hinton Hunt Brunswick Hussar which  is covered in old chipped paint. If a figure is not to bad I would consider a paint rennovation. In this case this figure is beyond paint rennovation.


Having left the figure in bleach and after clean up the figure detail emerges in all its original glory. The detail is impressive and will be delight to paint.






13 comments:

Jim Duncan Wargamer said...

Looked pretty well stripped to me.

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

I must admit to never having tried stripping paint off old figures , looks worth it though ! .

mojoworking said...

I agree, normal household bleach works well, but I don't shake the jar, I'd be scared of snapping off swords/bayonets etc!

Rob said...

I can see how you would be much more inspired to paint the figure after it had been stripped - looks brand new.

Mark Dudley said...

I would say that bleach removes 99.9% of paint. Sometimes a colour such as pink in eye sockets needs a pin file to remove.

Mark Dudley said...

I would try a tester first on a figure or two to make sure you are happy with he process.

Mark Dudley said...

A gentle shaking just to move the figures about. You are more likely to break something when you clean then up with the tooth brush.

Stryker said...

Sometimes reds in particular can be a bit stubborn but I have always found that any paint that can withstand an overnight in the bleach jar isn't going to shift if painted over. I have figures in my collection that I stripped and repainted 12 years ago with no ill effects from this. If you're tempted to give them a second dip it can sometimes lead to a white residue appearing which is a bit alarming. It's always satisfying when thick layers of old enamel paint fall off to reveal a nice crisp casting!

Mark Dudley said...

Not only look brand new but as you can see the detail its a lot easier to paint up as well.

Quantrilltoy said...

I haven't tried bleach but have removed paint from figures with Pinoclean household cleaner and I have used methylated spirits on old Britains.

The dilemma is then how to dispose of the resultant gunk.

Chris Gregg said...

Thanks Mark for this useful advice
Chris
http://notjustoldschool.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I tried soaking some DK figures in bleach for 2 days and they came out a darkish grey. I then soaked some HH and Minifigs for 8 to 12 hours and they came out nice and bright. What I take from this is that you shouldn’t leave them in bleach for too long and that the metal used makes a difference.

David said...

I have been using Dettol at the recommendation of Wellington Man, but I must say the resultant goo that forms from the paint is one of the nastier substances I have had to deal with. May try this technique and see if it is any more pleasant, though I must say I have never found stripping paint anything other than a pain in the neck! I agree with Stryker that it is not always necessary to remove all of the paint, as the stuck on bits aren't going anywhere, as long as they don't obscure detail I have been known to leave it and prime over.

David (miniature minions)