Tuesday 10 July 2018

British Rifles or Prussian Reserves

On my last post Rob made a point about the British rifleman figure perhaps holding a musket as it was too long for a Baker rifle.

This has got me thinking about my plan to use these figures and some other minifigs 20mm I have.

The figures all have Stove Pipe shakos and I have mussed about using them as Prussian Reserves.

Here is how a battalion would look.


I would perhaps need to add bayonets, at least to the front rank figures, as Prussians always had them attached.

As these figures have shoulder wings they could be used as the 1st battalion 9th Reserve Infantry , 21st Infantry Regiment in 1815.


The picture is from Knotel however they would look rather good with white belts rather than black.  Artistic licence perhaps

If I go down this route then I will wait to see if I can get some HH Riflemen on ebay. In the Interim my British skirmishers will be provided by the 51st (2nd Yorkshire West Riding) Regiment using these, rather odd looking Garrison Figures.



As I live in West Yorkshire it seems appropriate to do this unit. I have also realised the regimental museum is located in Doncaster.

http://www.doncaster.gov.uk/services/culture-leisure-tourism/king-s-own-yorkshire-light-infantry-museum





10 comments:

Colin Ashton said...

those Garrison figures were some of the first I ever owned!

Captain Nolan said...

The also look like the Dutch 27th Jagers as shown here: http://www.hat72.com/Othr/Dutch.html

Anonymous said...

The 1st battalion of the 8th Reserve regiment had the same uniform but with white belts.

https://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/c_resinf4.html

Rob said...

Don't write off black belts too soon - why try one with white and one with black for comparison - you'd only have to repaint the belts on one figure once you'd decided which was best. The black belts on a dark uniform will create a very different look from the standard white cross-belts and could make them quite distinctive as a unit.

Aly Morrison said...

Hi Mark...
Adding bayonets does seem tiresome... but they will certainly be a unique unit and therefore worth the effort...

The 2nd reserve Infantry regiment also has a nice uniform and they had the British packs...

All the best. Aly.

Mark Dudley said...

Hi Colin

They are rather distinctive. My first figures were some Hinton ACW figures to with my Airfix figures. I remember had Robert E Lee.

Mark Dudley said...

Hi CN

Another option. Although they are are wearing Belgic Shakos rather than Stovepipes.

Mark Dudley said...

I was thinking of doing the 9th as they fought at Waterloo. The 8th are the same uniform with white belts.

Mark Dudley said...

I will go with one of each and see how they look.

Mark Dudley said...

Hi Aly

On considerstion I might not even bother adding bayonets.

The reason why the Prussians always had bayonets attached is they did not have bayonet scabbards. As 9th Reseerve have British uniforms my rational is that they had scabbards supplied as well. It must have been a lot easier loading a musket without a bayonet attached. Also the officers can order there men to 'Bajonette befestigen' when they are ordered to charge.