Sunday 29 July 2018

Holiday Reinforcements

I have just got back from a mini break in to the Llyn Penninsula in North Wales. Whilst on holiday I normally keep a look out for second hand bookshops and normally  manage to find something of interest.

This holiday however I did not find anything that piqued my interest.  It was therefore fortuitous that I had arranged to drop in and visit JC on the journey home.

After a good hour chatting away John asked if I needed any figures. He then got out various bags and boxes of Hinton Hunt recasts.

I spent a very pleasant time open bags to discover the figures inside. This was reminiscent of my memory of visiting the Hinton Hunt shop in Camden Passage  in the early 70s.

So this is what I came away with.


A battalion of French Voltigeurs in Busbys. I also got an NCO. I will have to make the rest if the command by doing some head swaps.

I will base these so they can skirmish in 6 figure companies.


A British battalion firing. I have some original Command and Standard bearers to finish this unit.


A battalion of Prussian Landwehr. I will probably do these as the 5th Westphalian with Green facings. I have some recast Command for this unit


I also got a few British riflemen so I can make a couple of 6 figure skirmish units. John did not have any command so I will need to add these to my ebay search list.


I got a few French Engineers and Elite NCOs.


There were a couple of French limbers wand 3 British Limber Horse teams which will come in useful.  I can perhaps use these as Prussians. Of course it means I will have to get some figures for the limber and riders. Collecting these classic Napoleonics is truly a never ending search but one that is both enjoyable and satisfying.

So what did I read on holiday.


A battered classic paperback on the ACW which I was given as a youngster some 50 years ago. The ACW was my first period I did with Airfix figures. I still have a  28mm collection seen here in action some years ago.


Perhaps its time I got these out for a game.

As a footnote. I am working on adapting Charles Grants the War Game for my classic Napoleonics. With a little extra work these could be extended to the ACW. More on this in future posts.


9 comments:

mojoworking said...

Mark, French Voltigeurs in busbies seems to be a trending thing, check out my latest blog post!

johnpreece said...

I can't imagine anyone in the world has a wargames room with a view to equal John's. Also a good place to pick up those figures that have eluded you since 1963. Nice units congratulations.

Stryker said...

We had a lot of holidays in Wales when the kids were little but I never came home with anything like your haul of goodies - lucky if I found an Airfix kit!

Those Catton books were a great inspiration back in my own ACW days. Have you ever read any Stephen Sears?

Mark Dudley said...

Painting figures in smaller batches may take a bit longer but I find it stops me rushing and making mistakes and you at least get to see a slow trickle of finished figures get completed.

Mark Dudley said...

He certainky has a Wargame room with a view.

Mark Dudley said...

I have his book Landscape Turned Red on the battle of Sharpsburg aka Antietam. This is my favourite ACW Battlefield. I have visited it twice and wargamed it at leadt 4 times.

John Priests The Soldiers Battle is another good book on this battle.

Wellington Man said...

Those are all promising to be very nice indeed, Mark. Don't take tooooo much time over them though!

Mark Dudley said...


That is my problem. I am taking too long painting the figures.

Scheck said...

This was a good meeting in the holidays, getting such marvelous figures. A lot of painting work, but I am curious to see them soon!
Peter