Tuesday, 1 January 2019

British Lifeguards

Today I finished the first squadron of a unit of British Lifeguards. These took me longer than expected but then everything I paint seems to take longer than I expect.

I have started another 6 figure squadron but have decided to put them to one side and paint some British riflemen instead as they should be a lot easier to do.

I find that red takes at least 3 coats to get a hood finish but the finished results is pleasing.

Tuesday, 25 December 2018

Merry Christmas

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and that you have time to spend on your Wargaming plans for next year.

Saturday, 8 December 2018

French reinforcements

I do enjoy opening packages when they contain hobby items.

Yesterday, following a recent figure trade, the postman yesterday delivered a small package which I duelly opened  with a thrill of anticipation.

Inside I was pleased to find some very nice original Hinton Hunt French figures which I had swapped for some Lamming SYW figures.

Firstly there are 16 French Line Artillery crew. Enough for 4 complete gun crews.

In addition there are 2 Artillery riders which I will use with my Newline Limber horses.

Finally there are 4 each of FN2 and FN3  Line Grenadiers which I will be using as the elite companies for a Line battalion.

On the painting table I have started  on the first 6 figure squadron of the 1st British Life guards.

Tuesday, 27 November 2018

1st Hussars Completed

I have finally finished the 1st Hussars. It has taken me a bit longer than planned but I now have my elite Hussar regiment finished.

The 1st Hussars are made up of 4 recast figures and 2 originals. Now they are painted its hard to tell them a part.

I found the braid on the front of the coat a bit tricky to do and overall Hussars do have a lot of fiddly bits on them. As per usual they are finished with 2 coats of gloss.

And here is the combined 1st/8th Hussars. The 8th Hussars were one of the first units classic Napoleonic units I painted over 18 months ago.  Perhaps I need to paint up a spare Hussar figure I have as Brigadier Etienne Gerard.

Sunday, 25 November 2018

Newline and Hinton Hunt

Yesterday at the Battleground show I took advantage of the 25% sale to pick up a few bits and pieces from Newline.

Newline figures are true 20mm and therefore smaller than Hinton Hunt figures.

Firstly I bought some British Lifeguard command to see if I could use them to with a unit of Hinton Hunt I had in pipeline.

I am going to use the Newline figures with Hinton Hunt horses.

The first and third figure are Newline with the second and forth being Hinton Hunt.

Side on view with a Hinton in the middle flanked by the Newline figures.

I think they mix very well and will look good once painted. I am going to get thus unit painted next.

This next image shows a Hinton Hunt horse next to a smaller Newline one

I also bought some Newline Limbers and horse teams.

Firstly a British RHA Limber with a Hinton Hunt Horse team and Newline riders.

A Prussian all Newline Limber, team and riders.

The Newline Horse team are smaller so will need a little Miliput to raise the height of the figure.

Saturday, 24 November 2018

Hinton Hunt Commanders

I spent a very pleasant day at the Battleground show. Unfortunately the Lancaster Cellarmen where unable to put on their Hinton Hunt game as planned.

Mark L did however bring his Hinton Hunt commanders with him. And I thought I would share some photos of his collection. He has quiet a few.

I spent  an enjoyable time chatting to Mark and Clive S (of the Hinton Hunter blog fame) about classic Napoleonics. Its possible that at next years show we will cooperative on a Classic Napoleonic game.

I rather like this last one. I wonder who manufactured the coach 

I purchased some Newline Limbers and horses as they have a 25% off sale on at the moment together with some British Lifeguard command I intent to use with Hinton Hunt horses.  I will do a few comparison photos in my next post.

Saturday, 10 November 2018

I do like visiting my local Oxfam

As regular readers of this blog will know there is a rather good Oxfam in Ilkley. I have over the years managed to obtain a number of hobby related items including 150 or so original Hinton Hunt figures.

A couple of years ago they opened a secondhand bookshop and I have bought some good books from the shop.

This morning I dropped in and managed to buy a copy of Scott Bowdens book on the Grande Armee of 1813 for the princely sum of £2.49.

I will peruse the book this afternoon as I listen to the rugby.