Friday 8 November 2013

American Civil Wargaming in History - Antietam

The Wargaming in History Books by Charles S Grant are truly inspirational. The writing style, content and approach to representing famous battles are a lesson to us all of how to recreate battles on the tabletop.

In the last few months I have once again returned to thoughts of gaming the American Civil War.  This has partly been inspired in my son Max who has got the ACW bug.

The other evening I started thinking about putting on some large games using my 28mm collection. Having just about finished reading the first volume of Shelby Foote trilogy's my head is full of the early battles and the battle of Antietam in particular.

Antietam has always been my favourite action and is I my opinion the best of all the battlefields I have visited. 

So I have decided to give Antietam the Grant treatment and put the game on in the same style as the battles in Wargaming in History books.  I am not sure which rules to use yet.

More later







3 comments:

Archduke Piccolo said...

Looking forward to seeing this!

Jim Duncan Wargamer said...

Go for it young man, and younger man too!

CelticCurmudgeon said...

Sounds like a great idea. If you need inspiration I recommend Stephen Sears Landscape Turned Red for the clearest, best written version of that battle.
Jerry
A/K/a The Celtic Curmudgeon