Saturday 16 May 2020

Lutzow Infantry

I have finished my unit of Der Kreigspielers Lutzowers. DK ref 122. The command was a made up from other figures and I not sure of their providence. The drummer was a copy of a French Drummer with a Prussian head. He required a fair bit of cleaning up before painting. The Officer is a Hinton Hunt PN1 but possibly not original. The standard bearer looks like a David Clayton casting PN11 Garde Standard bearer but without he plume. All 3 command figures needed Milliput Litweka adding.


The DK Lutzow figure has French style backpack rather than a Prussian one.


I painted all 24 figures in one batch as I thought as they are in Black it would be easier. Now I am not sure about this and will revert back to smaller batches.


I based the flag on a image I found on the Lutzow Freicorps Website. I am not sure about is authenticity but a Black flag does complement the uniforms.


To support my Lutzowers I am going to add some old Kennington Austrian Jaeger as a company of the Lutzow Tyrolian Jaegers in Grey and Green. 

After that it these boys next.


This unit will include 11 of my original Grenadiers I bought from the Hinton Hunt shop in Camden Passage. The rest are more recent recasts. Unfortunately I don't have a Grenadier drummer however I will add  a Sapper instead.

14 comments:

Glasgow Warhog said...

Well painted

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Black uniforms are difficult to paint convincingly, but I'd say you nailed. They are very handsome.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Wellington Man said...

Very nice, Mark!

I'm willing to lay bets that they started life as HH French charging greatcoated grenadiers. The Duke was very creative with some of his conversions. That the Lutzowers would have been sporting various captured French stuff is very plausible.

I like the white havresacks - these really brighten them up, which is a challenge with Lutzowers!

Best regards
WM

Rob said...

I like them, I can’t quite put my finger on why but they somehow look more jaunty than WM’s and the profile of the shako in its cover really captures the Prussian essence. I notice the re-enactors also mix figures from different makers, that one in the second rank must a 25mil figure at least!

Mark Dudley said...

Thank you for the kind words

Mark Dudley said...

Hi Stokes.

I used Black Grey dry Bush over the black undercoat and then repainted the leather work in black to try and make it stand out.

Mark Dudley said...

Hi Matt

I have had a look at Clives blog and yes he is a conversion of a FN12 Line Grenadier figure.

The white haversack does add a splash and contrast to the black uniforms.

Mark Dudley said...

Hi Rob

The pose of the figure and shape of the shako cover certainly contribute to the jaunty appearance.

If you look closely the command figures are all a bit taller than the Infantry ones. I added a little height to the Infantry figure bases, using Milliput, but they are still shorter.

Stryker said...

Those are very nice indeed Mark. Painting black is never as easy as you think but you've done a great job.

The race is on to see who can complete their Old Guard first!

Aly Morrison said...

Very nice indeed Mark...
I have some Minifigs Brunswickers lurking in the painting pile... I was going to try painting them with Citadel Contrast Colours/Washes... Black over a grey undercoat.

All the best. Aly

Anonymous said...

Lovely unit, well painted, look forward to seeing your old Guard.

Paul

Mark Dudley said...

Hi Ian

I have started on the first batch of figures today. I have cleaned them up and used a bit of Milliput to reconstruct some miscasting on the bases.

Mark Dudley said...

I am too long in the tooth to try using theses new fangled contrast/colours.

The technique I used was black undercoat with a grey/black dry brush with a little light grey dry brush to finish of. I then picked out the belts etc in black.

Mark Dudley said...

Thanks Paul. I hope I can do justice to Marcus Hinton old guard.