Monday 7 February 2022

Charge Rules

I use the Charge rules for gaming with my classic Napoleonics. Yesterday I went to Vapnartak in York for my first Wargame show in 2 years. It was busy however there was sufficient space as there were no large demo games or the bring and buy.

The show was predominantly a trader show. I has gone along to catch up with LAOW forum members with nothing much on my shopping list other than some MDF bases.

Well I was pleasantly surprised to find an old copy of the Athena Charge booklet for the principle sum of three pounds.


This is a slimmed down version of the full Charge rules using smaller units and half scale measurements and was published in 1981.

On the back page there is useful play sheet.


However what is most useful are the Napoleonic amendments and I am  pleased to have copy of these.

On other matters I have almost finished rebasing my 15mm North Africa collection. Italian tanks, artillery and Bersaglieri motorcycles are now done.






8 comments:

Rob said...

Not sure I like the look of the Napoleonic modifications to CHARGE! but you Italians are delightful - look forward to seeing them in action.

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

That Charge ruleset was a bargain ! , a classic

Wellington Man said...

What a spectacular find. Can one obtain a copy of your own Charge! modifications? I'd love tp give these a go.
All the best
WM

Mark Dudley said...

Hi Rob

I am interested on your thoughts on the Charge rul modifications. What does not look right?

Mark Dudley said...

A classic indeed. I now have all 3 versions of the Charge rules

Mark Dudley said...

Hi WM

I gave sent you a copy of my modifications for your perusal.

Peter said...

Nice find and your rebased WW2 Italians look excellent.

Rob said...

Mark, I did respond earlier but the comment seems not to have got through.
It's really the rifle modifications that I harbour doubts over. I see no reason for them being more effective at the shorter ranges where musket rate of fire will make up for their poorer accuracy. Also, the firing on alternate moves is well dodgy, it probably takes longer to load and fire a cannon and they fire every turn (even in part of a turn).
The CHARGE! book rules allow Lt Inf to fire at individual figures at 6", this could be extended to 12" for rifles. Also, when halving casualties, for firing at targets in open order or in cover, rifles could halve and round up and muskets round down - I think this would be more than enough to represent the differences. I also see no need to limit them to company strength if larger units are historically valid e.g., whole battalions of the 95th.