Wednesday 19 May 2021

Humbrol Green

I use Humbrol Grass Green for my figure bases on my classic Napoleonics.  Over the years I have noticed that the colour varies tin to tin. 

I have been looking for an alternative to use on the mdf bases which matches the Humbrol Green I use on the figures themselves. I gloss varnish figures, including their bases, and leave the mdf  bases matt. The Gloss varnish changes the colour as it reflects light making the figure bases lighter than the Matt finish on the mdf bases

I have tried various tester pots of Matt emulsion and think I have well found a good match.


The photo shows a comparison of a Valspar matt emulsion colour called Sea Turtle (R251A - available at B&Q), on the left and Humbrol 80 on the right.

A pretty good match and with bonus that the Matt emulsion is cheaper and easier to use.  It also gives me the option of painting my 2ft square mdf boards in the same colour.


3 comments:

TWD said...

When I worked at GW a couple of the managers described how they had once been invited to the Humbrol factory near Hull to advise them (and Airfix) as they were in serious trouble and GW was the successful new kid on the block.
They were shown around Humbrols factory and watched amazed as the paint mixing took place. Rather than a state of the art modern process it was a man with a stirring implement adding pigments by hand to a vat. When he judged it right the colour was decanted into the famous little tins.
So no wonder the colour varies from batch to batch.

Graham C said...

Mark,
Always good when you find success on a quest 😁 looks like a pretty good match and as you say cheaper and readily available. A 5 litre tin should last you 🤣

Anonymous said...

It looks a good match but I have seen that Valspar paints have very bad reviews. Poor coverage and a smell like cat urine! It seems that they removed a preservative and bacteria react to cause an ammonia smell.