Sunday 3 September 2023

Berlin and Zinnfiguren

I have just got back from a short city break to Berlin. While there I was able to visit the Berliner Zinnfiguren shop for a spot of shopping.

Over 10 years ago I had bought a few Fechner Zinnfiguren online and painted a few of them before putting them away. Well I now had the opportunity to buy a few more so I could create two small armies.

Berliner Zinnfiguren sell both new and secondhand figures so I picked a few of both. Here's the haul.


3 boxes of new Schulz figures. The boxes contain 23 Prussian Infantry, 27 Austrian Infantry and 9 Prussian battalion gunners.



I bought 2 secondhand boxes of old Kieler cavalry figures that cost 15 Euros a box. I am not sure how old these are but the packaging could be pre war.


The first box of 15 Prussian hussars included 5 that have painted as the 4th Puttkamer Hussars the remainder are unpainted figures. I will do a paint restoration although I am not sure if these are original factory painted ones.
  

The second box contains 10 part painted Austrian Dragoons and goes to show that lead, or should that be Zinnfiguren, piles exist in Germany.

Thus is going to be kitchen table collection and my current thoughts are towards a battalion represented by 6 figures on a 60 by 30mm base and cavalry on a 60 by 50mm base with 5 figures. I have enough figures now to do 14 infantry bases and 8 cavalry and a couple of guns. 

Rules wise DBSYW, Volley and Bayonet and Charge come to mind. For Charge each Infantry base will represent 12 figures and a cavalry base 6 figures.



11 comments:

Rob said...

I was tempted to try some Zinnfiguren when on a holiday in Germany viewing battefields and the inevitable flats in diorama at the local museum. What I really wanted was the Murat at Wachau set they do, but I wanted to paint it and they only sell it in painted form which was a lot of money to pay for something thta I would strip off.

Neil Patterson said...

Never felt confident enough to tackle flats!

Christian uses a lot more figures than you're considering for his VnB games; I guess due to them being thinner so taking up less room?

My VnB units are 8 inf and 4 cav on 80mm bases using demi-rondes.
I assume you are considering a single rank of flats?

Neil

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

Flats have a style all of their own , very beautiful figures.

Aly Morrison said...

Lovely toys Mark…
There is a wonderful dynamism to flats…
I have a box of 7 Years war Austrians and one of Prussians in the to be painted mountain… I still haven’t worked out how I am going to go about it..so I await wit interest to see what you do…

All the best. Aly

Donnie McGibbon said...

Saw this on LAF and must admit I am looking forward to seeing where you go with this project. I have always loved flats but doubt I have the skill to do them justice!

Mark Dudley said...

Do you know who engraved the Murat set. It may be possible to get an unpainted set from the distributor.

Mark Dudley said...

Hi Neil. I have visited Christains blog many times. In fact it was his blog that inspired me to start flats a decade ago.

Yes my units will be 6 figures in a line. My plan is for small unit sizes and footprint so I can play games in a small space.

Mark Dudley said...

Not only beautiful but with huge ranges of figures to pick from.

Mark Dudley said...

Aly why dont you try a figure or two and see how they come out.

Mark Dudley said...

Hi Donnie. You dont need to paint Flats like you see in the pictures. They key is to add a subtle highlight here and there. I use Liquitex grey ink for a lot of my highlighting.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful work. Check out this chap's site - his basing is hugely effective. http://crogges7ywarmies.blogspot.com